A Great Month For Fun
In addition to being National Picnic Month, Family Fun Month, Admit Your Happy Month, and National Crayon Month, August also honors an array of of amazing foods, and other cool stuff. In fact, August is a great month for fun!
While we can’t slow the ticking clock of getting older, there’s plenty we can do enhance our quality of life, boost longevity, and have fun!
And there is nothing better than a warm sunny summer day, to do so.
When the summer temperatures start to climb too high, or when you have a rainy day on your hands, there is still plenty of fun to be had indoors.
So what are you waiting for? August is a great month for fun!
Age Well. Live Well.
Would you like to get more involved in your community or be more socially active? There are plenty of places to look for opportunities, depending on your interests. Here are some ideas:
Get Out and About
- Visit a senior center and take part in its events and activities
- Play cards or other games with friends
- Go to the theater, a movie, or a sporting event
- Travel with a group of older adults
- Visit friends and family
- Try different restaurants
- Join a group interested in a hobby like knitting, hiking, bird watching, or painting
- Reconnect with old friends through Facebook
Learn Something New
- Take a cooking, art, dance, language, or computer class. Get in touch with your local community college. Many offer free or discounted courses for older adults.
- Form or join a book or film club
- Try yoga, tai chi, or another new physical activity
- Learn (or relearn) how to play a musical instrument
Become More Active in Your Community
- Serve meals or organize clothing donations for people in need
- Help an organization send care packages to soldiers stationed overseas
- Care for dogs and cats at an animal shelter
- Volunteer to run errands for people with disabilities
- Join a committee or volunteer for an activity at your place of worship
- Volunteer at a school, library, museum, or hospital
- Help with gardening at a community garden or park
- Organize a park clean-up through your local community association
- Sing in a community choral group, or play in a local band or orchestra
- Take part in a local theater troupe
- Get a part-time job
- Rediscover a favorite childhood pastime or teach it to a new generation—embroidery, photography, building models, chess, baking, woodworking, calligraphy, or quilting
What’s fun have to do with it? Plenty! In fact, having fun means something different to everyone. You can have fun volunteering, working, reading, or participating in your favorite hobby.
August (or any month) is a great month for fun!
Bucket55 is on a mission to fix the story of getting old. It’s not about aging it’s about living and having fun! Learn More…